If there are two things that go together on a road trip, it’s kids and snacks. As we make our way into the final days of summer and those energizing still-warm weekends in fall, here are some healthy snack ideas for both you and your kiddos! Before You Go While it may be tempting to stop at a convenience store or even a food stand at the airport, consider the advantages of packing your own whole foods snacks at home before you leave. With just a little extra planning and some creativity, it’s possible to pack family-friendly, healthy snacks to bring with you on your trip. Tips include:
- Consider your travels: Your planned travel likely influences snack type – are you flying, driving, hiking? Are you able to plan a grocery stop for healthy snacks? Are you able to bring a small cooler on your trip or are you limited to dry goods?
- Make a shopping list: Which snack items are on your must-have list, and what items appeal to your kiddos? Allowing your kids to weigh in and gently steer them toward healthy purchases is a great way to set them up for healthy snacking for life! Making a shopping list can also save time and help you avoid making unhealthy choices.
- Make a “family snack pack:” Is there a healthy snack that you and your family can make together prior to departure? Consider getting the family together in the kitchen to make a protein-packed trail mix, for example, with nuts, whole grains and dried fruit.
- Edamame – dried and/or lightly seasoned
- Veggies: baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, sliced peppers or cucumber
- Ants on a log: celery sticks filled with peanut or almond butter and raisins on top
- Dried fruit – banana chips, raisins, etc.
- Boiled eggs – easy to make a batch ahead of time
- And our favorite, Zing’s healthy snack bars!